MIXED GREENS WITH APPLES, GOAT CHEESE, AND WALNUTS WITH AMPLE DIJON VINAIGRETTE
A subtle sweet Dijon vinaigrette perfectly complements apples, goat cheese and toasted walnuts for a light refreshing salad
6 cups mixed greens or fresh baby spinach (or combination)
1 green apple, cored, cut into small chunks
2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
Maple Dijon Vinaigrette (recipe below)
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Toss with maple Dijon Vinaigrette. Serve.
MAPLE DIJON VINAIGRETTE
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons canola oil
In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients.
GRILLED DOVE BREASTS
Beautifully grilled bacon-wrapped dove breasts have a surprise filling of jalapenos and cream cheese.
2 cups reduced fat Italian dressing
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
30 dove breasts
2 fresh jalapenos, cored and sliced lengthwise
1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
7 ½ strip center-cut bacon, cut in half
1. In a shallow bowl, combine dressing and Worcestershire sauce. Add dove breasts and marinate in refrigerator overnight or for at least 8 hours. Discard marinade.
2. Place a jalapeno slice and about 1 tablespoon cream cheese on a dove breast and cover with another dove breast. Wrap together with half of a bacon slice and secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining dove breasts.
3. Grill over medium heat. (Watch carefully as bacon may cause flames to flare.)
BROCCOLI AND PECANS WITH CREAMY HORSERADISH SAUCE
Basic broccoli gets a makeover with toasty pecans and a spunky horseradish sauce
6 cups broccoli florets
¼ cup pecan halves
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup light mayonnaise
3 tablespoons skim milk
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
¼ cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350oF.
2. In a covered microwave-safe container, microwave broccoli in ¼ cup water for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain and transfer to a baking dish. Sprinkle with pecans. Season to taste.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, milk and horseradish. Pour over broccoli. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
TWO POTATO ROAST
Any potatoes may be used.
1 pound sweet potatoes (yams), peeled and cut into small chunks
1 pound red potatoes, unpeeled and cut into small chunks
1 tablespoon minced garlic
¼ cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450oF. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray, or line with foil.
2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and transfer to prepared pan
3. Bake about 40-50 minutes or until potatoes are browned, stirring every 15-20 minutes.
Orange glaze soaks into the cake to make a moist and fruity wonderful desert.
1 (l8.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix
1 cup orange juice
1/3 cup canola oil
1 (6-ounce) container nonfat orange yogurt
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
2 egg whites
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon orange liqueur or orange juice
½ cup orange marmalade, apricot or peach preserves
1. Preheat oven to 350oF. Coat a Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat together all ingredients, except 1 tablespoon liqueur and preserves. Mix until well blended.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until center of cake bounces back when touched. Let sit for 5 minutes and invert to serving plate.
4. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine remaining liqueur and preserves. Microwave for 45 seconds. Pour over warm cake.
Recipes compliments of Holly Clegg, from her book “Trim &Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites”
To purchase a copy of this book got to: www.hollyclegg.com